- Formed in 1979 in honor of Carl McCain, a retired lease crude oil buyer who gave up his own cancer treatment to channel resources to care for his medically challenged granddaughter.
- On learning of Carl’s sacrifice, industry friends started a foundation to support his granddaughter and individuals in the industry facing similar challenges.
- Our mission is to make financial grants to, or on behalf of, individuals and families who have worked in the domestic energy industry and who are financially burdened by medical expenses.
- In order to qualify for financial assistance, applicants must meet employment and financial criteria as established by the Foundation’s Board of Trustees. Financial grants pay for a broad range of health-related expenses that would otherwise be beyond the financial capability of the applicant.
- Assistance from the Foundation helps mitigate applicants’ stress and allow them to focus their energy on handling the difficult medical challenges they are facing.
- U.S. individuals and their immediate families whose livelihood is, or has been, derived from the domestic oil and/or natural gas industries, or ancillary businesses related to the industry.
- Focused on helping individuals or families whose financial wellbeing is threatened or who cannot afford adequate care due to medical issues.
- The Carl McCain Foundation is a tax exempt, publicly supported organization in accordance with the IRS code 501(c)(3).
- The board of trustees consists of 25 prominent members of the U.S. energy industry.
- 100% of the time is volunteered.
- Less than 1% of the money is used for administrative purposes
Aid Application and Approval Process
The process begins by submitting an application to the aid sub-committee for initial screening
If qualified, a trustee reviews the application and prepares a request for approval by the Board of Trustees.
On approval, the presenting Trustee works with the Treasurer to administer distribution
The foundation works with providers to negotiate down, if possible, and pay approved expenses.
The Foundation protects the privacy of applicants’ information.
The Foundation strives to provide aid for qualified individuals and to maintain available funds by prudent fundraising and financial management.
The Foundation endeavors to maintain the trust and support of those in our industry.